Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: "Honeynets" vs. "Honeypots"

From: "HoneyNet Germany" <newsletter () honeynet de>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 14:53:34 +0100

There is a definition given by Lance spitzner and I expect him to also give
you an answer. As he is the Founder of "The Honeynet Project" he defined the
a "honeynet" as a honeypot which is dedicated to research, not to prevent a
productive invironement from beeing hacked (usually a honeypot is another
kind of sensor of an IDS-System).

So it has nothing to do if there is one or more machines running and though
it has nothing to do with "network" directly. So I would use the terminology
"honeynet" for the entire system and call the machine a target-system in the
honeynet, but not a honeypot, but I also think it's nothing wrong to call it
a honeypot in your honeynet.

Uwe Betz
HoneyNet Germany
http://www.honeynet.de