Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Data capture on Windows and Solaris Boxes

From: Ryan Barnett <RCBarnett () hushmail com>
Date: 14 Mar 2003 16:05:46 -0000

Good Day All,

      I have been tasked with building and maintaining a Gen II style
Honeynet
for a client. The client is very adamant that the individual Honeypots
resemble their current network. Therefore all of the boxes will either be
Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 or Solaris 8. I have been trying to locate
utilities to help in the data capture at the end host and have only had
limited success. For the Windows machines I have found ComLog and the
Eventlog to Syslog utility, but have come up empty for Solaris. I was
hoping
some of you would have some pointers to other utilities. My feeling is in
worst case scenario I will attempt to port some of the utilities written
for
Linux and *BSD to Solaris. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Brennen Reynolds

Brennan,
For Solaris, you can use my RemoteBSM tool.  It is an updated version of
BackLog for Solaris from Intersect Alliance.  This tool reads data from
the standard Solaris BSM Audit subsystem, uses the praudit utility to
convert the audit data to ASCII and then sends the data off to a remote
logging host via UDP.  My whitepaper (and tool download) for RemoteBSM is
available from my honypots website -
http://honeypots.sourceforge.net/Honeypotting_With_RemoteBSM.html

Additionally, you might want to check out the new SNARE for Solaris tool
from Intersect Alliance (http://www.intersectalliance.com.  This is the
updated BackLog tool, which adds functionality such as Objective logging.

-Ryan