Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Question about logging

From: Floydman <floydian_99 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 08:46:00 -0500

Hi. First of all, you have to remember that your honeypot machines are by definition "vulnerable", while you'd want to spend more time on securing you log storing server. Second, from what I can remember of Lance's papers, (if you have enough machines) you don't really care about your log server, since all the traffic on the network is being sniffed. So the single fact of sending your logs to your log server means that they will also be captured by the sniffing machine. So at this point, you don't really have to worry about the log server (or if it gets hacked, it just becomes part of your honeynet), since all your log is on an IP-less sniffing PC.

Hope it helps

Floydman