funsec mailing list archives

Re: John McAfee running for US pres

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 12:21:05 -0400

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 10:48:54AM -0700, Steve Pirk wrote:
We have batshit candidates, and then we have batshit crazy voting systems
to make sure that the batshit endowed end up in office. Maybe these
republican presidential wannabees act batshit crazy because they know that
they can get away with it, because the game is rigged...

You and I may be in agreement on this.  I've opined loud and long
(on the IP list, at TechDirt, elsewhere) that it is not presently possible
to construct a secure electronic voting system for a variety of reasons.
I could delve into the myriad technical issues involved, but that's been
done and it's tedious, so I will simply put the non-technical trump card
on the table first: economics.

As I'm sure everyone here is aware, the asymmetric nature of security
attack and defense means that competent attackers can often be wonderfully
successful even when utilizing a budget that's only a tiny fraction of
that available to defenders.

So when we ask ourselves "what budget is available to those attacking
voting systems?" we start finding highly disturbing estimates, including
this back-of-the-envelope calculation from Bruce Schneier:

        Stealing an Election
        https://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram/archives/2004/0415.html#4

That's alarming on its face, despite being quite conservative.  But it's
also 11 years old, which means that it is now a massive underestimate.
Pick the multiplier you want but do keep in mind that there are quite
clearly people in the US willing to spend $1B in pursuit of the electoral
outcome they want. [1]  If told that they could *guarantee* it for a
mere $500M, they could and would write that check in a heartbeat.

And with a $500M budget, any of us reading this could rig any election.
That attack budget would necessitate a defender budget well into the
tens of billions, and that is never going to happen.

---rsk

[1] Koch Brothers' Budget of $889 Million for 2016 Is on Par With Both Parties' Spending
        http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/27/us/politics/kochs-plan-to-spend-900-million-on-2016-campaign.html?_r=0