funsec mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Getting back onto Facebook

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:46:23 -0800

Date sent:              Sun, 19 Apr 2015 20:10:14 -0400
From:                   Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>

This looks like a phishing attempt because I don't have a Facebook account. I
don't participate in the social networking experiments. So there's no way I've
been having trouble using it.

I doubt it is phishing.  I think it is an error.

Two errors, actually.  One by someone who is setting up a Facebook account and
who doesn't know their email address, and another by Facebook in not confirming
email addresses properly.

I notice you use Gmail.  I've got a Gmail account as well, and a number of people
seem to think it is theirs.  Somebody in Hawaii gave it to his Honda dealership,
and thus I get all his notices to bring his car in for servicing.  There are others who
have given my email address to the Sierra Club and other organizations (and, of
course, there is always lots of spam), but one person has given my address to
Facebook.  This person has now forgotten her (I'm pretty sure) password, and is
using the reset password function to try and get back into her Facebook account.
Facebook, of course is sending the instructions on how to reset your password to
me.  (I also get the normal "come back and use Facebook" spam that anyone with
a Facebook account gets, but for her account.  I *do* have a Facebook account,
but I use a different email address for it.)

I can't see any way out of it.  I don't know how to contact the person who actually
created the Facebook account.  Facebook isn't likely to take any notice if I
contacted them.  I suppose you could use the password reset message to reset the
password, and then kill the account.  That would, at least, stop the extra Facebook
spam from coming in to your account.  (I haven't done that, hoping that the
account owner might find some way to recover her account.  But, at this point, it
doesn't look likely.)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
The unexamined life is not worth living.                  - Socrates
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade