funsec mailing list archives

Interesting twist on intellectual property law

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 12:53:36 -0700

Magic tricks cannot be protected by copyright, at least in the US. [1]

However, Raymond Teller has won a copyright lawsuit.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/teller-wins-lawsuit-copied-magic-
690347

The trick can't be protected, but the performance can. [2]

[1] - I find this interesting, since the US usually allows more things to be protected
by copyright.

[2] - Normally I'm not on the side of IP protection, but I find this an intriguing
legal argument.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us.  Huxley
feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance.
                                                      - Neil Postman
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade