funsec mailing list archives

Re: Google's "Shared Endorsements"

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 11:17:52 -0400

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 10:24:35PM +0200, Dani??l W. Crompton wrote:
I've recently been trying out different mail tracking software which
augments the in-browser mail client with a webbug and all the links with a
redirected url, much like you would get in a marketing mail.

I wouldn't recommend it.  These are spammer-originated, abusive,
invasive methods that are never used by responsible professionals.
I think a substantial argument can be made that they're a form
of malicious spyware, and there's no doubt that they attack both
the privacy and security of recipients.  So my recommendation is
to never, ever use them.

---rsk