funsec mailing list archives

"Undetectable" hardware trojans?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 08:26:00 -0800

Run for your lives!  Researchers have developed trojan chips that nobody can
find!  Chipnado!

http://threatpost.com/researchers-develop-undetectable-hardware-trojans/102329

(Upon reading the headline, my initial reaction is to wonder how the researchers
found the chips again after they'd made them.  But I digress.)

As usual, the media has overblown it.  The actual paper:
http://people.umass.edu/gbecker/BeckerChes13.pdf
demonstrates a way to modify the operation of an integrated circuit in a way that
makes it harder to find by visual inspection.  Finding the variant functionality is
probably inefficient, but not impossible.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
As the length of the thread increases, the chances of someone
making a pointless and completely off-the-wall comment (purely in
the hope of having his/her/its name in the mailing list)
approaches one.           - rms, named Markwin's Law by MW, 20100615
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade