funsec mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: petition to remove Aaron Swartz prosecutor

From: Michael Simpson <mikie.simpson () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:04:41 +0000

On 15 January 2013 02:30, Kyle Creyts <kyle.creyts () gmail com> wrote:

Well, with each passing Saturday bringing the trial closer, each probably
looked more bleak.

So it may have have been one contributing cause, but it's not a slam dunk
to conclude a direct causal relationship "court case therefor suicide".
For
all we know, he's been having those thoughts for *years*, and Friday was
simply the day that he woke up and realized there was no way he could face
Saturday

post hoc ergo propter hoc

Young men are the best patient group for successfully completing suicide
and often the cause is multifactorial and difficult to elucidate
However I think that the upcoming court case has to be taken into account.
Would be useful to know if there had been a *very* recent history of
Aaron's mood seeming to lift or if there was a change in his medication (if
any)

Somewhere a psychiatrist will probably be undertaking a critical event
analysis