funsec mailing list archives

Re: 2013 predictions...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 03:16:46 -0800

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Nick FitzGerald
<nick () virus-l demon co uk> wrote:

I just hope that I'm not already too late to be the fiirst person to
predict that 2013 will be _the_ year of mobile malware...

Date sent:              Sat, 8 Dec 2012 20:56:23 -0500
From:                   Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>

When do you think Advanced Persistent Threats (APT) will make it to
mobility? Do you think they will start with a phishing email? Or a
Smishing SMS? What kind of pedigree will the advanced threat have?

On July 27, an APT for mobile will be released.  It will be advanced, because it will
have figured out how to turn on the speaker and turn up the volume, and will be
persistent, because it will then repeatedly announce "Hey, this dummy still hasn't
reponded to our great offer!" until you click on the malicious link.  It will be cross-
platform, infecting Android, iOS, Blackberry, and Symbian (Window 8 being too
small a market to worry about).

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
If you want the present to be different from the past, study the
past.                                               - Baruch Spinoza
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade