funsec mailing list archives

Re: Gmail Forwarding Logins to YouTube?

From: "Nick FitzGerald" <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 14:22:08 +1200

Jeff wrote:

It appears GMail is forwarding logins to YouTube.  ...

That's news?

And it's not so much forwarding as SSO.

...  I don't have a
YouTube account, ...

Ummmm, yes you do...

Since Google bought YouTube several years back, they have been working
on "merging"  YouTube users into the Google userbase and for some time
now there has been no distinction.  Likewise, various Google services
that you used to have to request to subscribe to from your existing
account (which you may have created "just" for GMail or for Google
Groups, etc, etc) have all (?) become available to you automatically.

This culminated in the merging of Google myriad privacy policies and
ToS'es earlier this year:

   http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/

   One policy, one Google experience

   On March 1, 2012, we changed our Privacy Policy and Terms of
   Service. We got rid of over 60 different privacy policies across
   Google and replaced them with one that´s a lot shorter and easier
   to read. The new policy and terms cover multiple products and
   features, reflecting our desire to create one beautifully simple
   and intuitive experience across Google.

   This stuff matters, so please take a few minutes to read our
   updated Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, and visit our
   FAQ to read more about the changes.

   [...]

... and I would like to supress forwarding my credentials
(or obtaining tokens through frameworks such as OAuth).

Is it possible to stop the sharing and leakage?

Simple -- delete your Google account(s) and don't use any of their
services that depend on Google account logins.

Bill Gates' master plan was to make $5 off every person on earth by
licensing his OS and/or some implementation of his BASIC interpreter to
them.  Brin and Page's master plan appears to be to own as much
personal and behavioural data about you as possible and rent or license
it out a few nano-cents per time, but often enough that they eventually
make more...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald