funsec mailing list archives

Re: LinkeDin!

From: Patrick Laverty <patrick_laverty () brown edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 17:47:11 -0400

Should we change our password yet? I see in Google that it's only in
the last few minutes that LinkedIn even admitted that "some" passwords
were stolen. Should we really change our password in a compromised
system before its owner has told us that they know how the attacker
got in and that they've closed the hole? Otherwise, if I'm the
attacker, I'd be constantly dumping the same list, and doing diffs on
the files. Because as indicated, people do repeat passwords across
services, and now maybe I've gotten their "new" password that they're
not going to change again and that might work on other systems as
well.

I'm the camp that'll hang on until LinkedIn says they've patched the
problem, otherwise I'm just risking giving away a second password.

Just my opinion.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon &