funsec mailing list archives

Big Brother does not like Occupy?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 18:12:06 -0800

Sorry for the politics, but this does seem to be rather significant.  What is the risk
analysis when the agency you create to defend yourself from terrorists starts
terrorizing your citizens?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/nov/25/shocking-truth-
about-crackdown-occupy

"The picture darkened still further when Wonkette and Washingtonsblog.com
reported that the Mayor of Oakland acknowledged that the Department of
Homeland Security had participated in an 18-city mayor conference call advising
mayors on "how to suppress" Occupy protests"

"Reporters were asked by NYPD to raise their hands to prove they had
credentials: when many dutifully did so, they were taken, upon threat of arrest,
away from the story they were covering, and penned far from the site in which
the news was unfolding. Other reporters wearing press passes were arrested and
roughed up by cops, after being – falsely – informed by police that "It is illegal to
take pictures on the sidewalk." "

"Journalist Chris Hayes reported on a leaked memo that revealed lobbyists vying
for an $850,000 contract to smear Occupy"

"The mainstream media was declaring continually "OWS has no message".
Frustrated, I simply asked them. I began soliciting online "What is it you want?"
answers from Occupy. In the first 15 minutes, I received 100 answers"

"The No 1 agenda item: get the money out of politics.
No 2: reform the banking system to prevent fraud and manipulation, with the
most frequent item being to restore the Glass-Steagall Act – the Depression-era
law, done away with by President Clinton, that separates investment banks from
commercial banks.
No 3 was the most clarifying: draft laws against the little-known loophole that
currently allows members of Congress to pass legislation affecting Delaware-based
corporations in which they themselves are investors. "

OK, this is only one article.  But it does have backup:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/us/other-occupy-sites-hope-ny-raid-
energizes-movement.html

Mayor Quan said Tuesday in a radio interview that she was one of 18 officials on a
conference call last Thursday organized by the United States Conference of
Mayors to discuss local responses to Occupy encampments around the country.
Mayor Sam Adams of Portland, Ore., said there had been two calls hosted by the
organization “to share information about the occupying encampments around the
country.”

http://inthesetimes.com/uprising/entry/12303/mayors_dhs_coordinated_occupy_at
tacks/

Oakland Mayor Jean Quan confirmed that suspicion during an appearance on the
BBC - excerpted on The Takeaway radio program - when she casually mentioned
taking part in a conference call with the leaders of 18 US cities right before the
raids.

http://markcrispinmiller.com/2011/11/raids-on-ows-coordinated-with-obamas-fbi-
homeland-security-others/

according to one Justice official, each of those actions was coordinated with help
from Homeland Security, the FBI and other federal police agencies.
[...]
Agencies were also advised to demonstrate a massive show of police force,
including large numbers in riot gear. In particular, the FBI reportedly advised on
press relations, with one presentation suggesting that any moves to evict
protesters be coordinated for a time when the press was the least likely to be
present.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
The Internet may promise to improve the way we educate and learn,
but so did early television. TV technology has instead reduced
our attention spans, reduced intellectual conversations to sound
bits, and left us with the impression that in order to be
informed, we must first be entertained.           - Lew Platt, of HP
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade