funsec mailing list archives

All that, and it was just pharma spam?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 09:58:07 -0800

Got a message yesterday.  It was immediately suspect, since it purportedly came
from YouTube, and was threatening that I had sent "the maximum number of
messages per day."  It was also sent to the "-owner" of a mailing list I run on
Yahoo.  Of course, I don't send email through YouTube.

However, since I do have a YouTube account, and just in case there was a mail
capability I didn't know about, I figured I'd better check it out.  Sending through
Yahoo is a good form of obfuscation.  I did, eventually, figure out that it came via
ThePlanet in Houston (probably a bot infected machine).

I then suspected that it might be some kind of account phishing.  However, when I
actually looked at the URL, and checked it out, it seems to have been a simple
pharma spam (bounced from a site in France to one in Russia).

All that trouble and obfuscation, just to post pharma spam?  Sophisticated
misdirection kits are obviously getting cheaper and easier for the script kiddie
level spammers to buy.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
      Subject to http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade