funsec mailing list archives

Re: US FEMA National Preparedness Month exercise

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 21:12:25 +1200

Rob Sladewrote:

In keeping with my long-standing advocacy for emergency preparation, I would
urge all American members of this group to have a serious look at:

http://community.fema.gov/connect.ti/READYNPM

Non-US citizens can join as well.  (I just did.)  When you do, you get access to
some resource materials.  Although fairly simplistic, and heavily larded with
advertising for the event itself, the materials do contain some useful checklists,
forms, and awareness materials that are useful for BCP work.

Having lived through the upheaval of three recent-ish, surprisingly-
damaging-given-their-Richter-Scale-rating earthquakes, two of which
locally resulted in in power outages, and loss of normal water supply
for one to two weeks per incident, and restricted use of sewage systems
directly affecting the suburb where I live (we got notices from the
local council just yesterday saying we could use the toilets in the
house, as opposed to the Portaloos on the street corners, some ~5
months after the local sewers were first deemed "marginal"), I cannot
recommend _enough_ the value of making the small effort necessary to
stock up and maintain the basic survival supplies, etc that such
programmes typically recommend (I've not looked at the material linked
above, but the general advice of these programmes around the (Western)
world are typically quite similar).

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald