funsec mailing list archives

Windows 7 - security and password history

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:28:34 -0800

The password aging issue prompted a little more thinking on my part.  Was it
really 37 days (42 minus 5) since I'd installed the machine?  Ah, but then, it
couldn't be.  As previously noted, I had to take it back to the store to clear up
some OS registration issue.  They, of course, didn't ask what password I'd set, they
just blew off the passwords.  So, the 37 days would start from that point, wouldn't
it?

Well, apparently not.  When I checked my journal, it was obvious that the 37
days started when I first started setting up the computer, not when the store
eliminated the passwords.

Interesting version of "history" there, Microsoft ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
It takes nearly as much ability to know how to profit by good
advice as to know how to act for one's self.
                                      - Francois de La Rochefoucauld
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade