funsec mailing list archives

Re: Windows 7 (Pro) password aging security policy

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 18:59:34 +1200

Earlier I wrote:

I know -- responding to my own posts...

Why 42 though?

Probably because it is the whole week value nearest to mid-point of the
"30 to 90 days" range MS believes is best for you.  (And "30 to 90
days" itself is an approximation for "one to three months".)

OK -- I was concentrating on something else and trying to get this
posted as well and that wording does not say what I was trying to
convey...

Yes, the mid-point of "30 to 90" is 60, not 45, but what I was trying
to say was that 42 is the whole week value nearest to the mid-point
between zero and the maximum value in the "30 to 90 days" range MS
believes is best for you.

That is, they are deliberately biasing the default toward what they see
as the minimum value in the best practice range.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald