funsec mailing list archives

Re: Im lovin google spam filter

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 13:11:16 -0400

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 12:49:34 EDT, michael.blanchard () emc com said:

If we take 100 people on this list, have them all look in their backyards and
report if there is any paper or plastic blowing around, I'll bet we can come up
with a fairly high percentage of us that don't have any paper or plastic
blowing around.  I'll further say that I'll bet the number would be within a
standard deviation of 4% error.  So, if 96% of us don't have any paper or
plastic blowing around in our yards, could we safely say that no-one litters?

No, you can safely say that the population average of litter-free backyards is
has a 70% chance between 92% and 100%, and about 95% chance of being
between 88% and 100%. (Yes, it's likely to be closer to a chi-squared curve
than a gaussian bell curve due to the constraint of one tail).

The problem is that careful analysis is needed - I'll make a prediction that yards
with chain link fences have a lot higher level of wind-born litter than unfenced
yards.  This of course impacts your analysis of litter sources.

And incidentally, Rick *has* done the "take 100 people" type analysis, which is why
he commented that (basically) the plural of anecdote isn't data.