funsec mailing list archives

Re: Judge: Debt agency can't contact woman on Facebook

From: <michael.blanchard () emc com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 10:25:31 -0400

I hope this starts to set a precedent here.  I've heard horror stories about people's parents and family being called,
co-workers being called, neighbors being called etc.  I was once called about a neighbor's debt, they were behind a
payment, I proudly told the collection agency to go screw and if they called me again I'd file a harassment complaint,
they never called me back....

  A debt collector should only be able to contact the borrower via their phone number that was given on their
application or registered mail.  Failing that, the debt collector should bring the borrower to court or write it off as
a loss and take the tax deduction....

 Mike B

Michael P. Blanchard
Senior Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
32 Coslin Drive
Southboro, MA 01772