funsec mailing list archives

Re: DoS help

From: RandallM <randallm () fidmail com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 06:48:36 -0600

------------------------------

Message: 11
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 06:34:26 +0000
From: Thomas M Carlsson <thomas () carlsson fm>
Subject: Re: [funsec] DoS help
To: funsec () linuxbox org

On 08/11/2010 23:05, RandallM wrote:
Well...the Echo request hit again our IP block address using another
IP (both from FR.), the first hits were morning, second wer about two
hours of it in the afternoon (I've never experienced where it hit the
whole damn thing X.X.X.255)

I assume this e-mail was intended as a joke (this being funsec etc), but
I'll bite just in case someone who actually has this problem runs into
the thread on Google;

Above scenario is indicative of a network being an intermediary in a UDP
broadcast amplification attack, i.e. fraggle. See
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=fraggle+attack

Thomas/Beige

--
 Thomas Mannfred Carlsson
 mail () thomascarlsson com

------------------------------

Thomas,
thanks for falling for the joke. After all that's what funsec is!
And thank you for the input...Looks like SBC is not doing there job on
the router end preventing such for me. I see that is prolly my first
line of defence is to get them to do that and the other as Dan pointed
out..go for Dynamic IP...we dont want this again.

would DNSSec be useful here?

--
been great, thanks
RandyM