funsec mailing list archives

Actual razor found in candy, apple ...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 12:45:28 -0800

(No, not "candy apple" ...)

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/11/03/bc-delta-candy-razor-
blade.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/11/01/ns-razor-blade.html

OK, up until now, this has been mostly (not solely:
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/needles.asp ) the stuff of urban legend.
However, as a professional paranoid, I cannot help wondering: in this day and age
of Hallowe'en candy paranoia, how is it that the candy and apple were not checked
prior to consumption?  (Pretty much everyone I know throws out everything that
isn't seal-packed, and quick-checks the integrity of all sealed goods.)

Is it remotely possible, in this day and age of people doing anything for instant
celebrity ("22 Minutes" last night did a spoof on a reality TV show "Who's the
tallest"), that someone put the razors in these items themselves?

Or are we getting some *real* weirdos out there?

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Think all you speak, but speak not all you think. Thoughts are
your own; your words are so no more.                - Patrick Delany
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://www.infosecbc.org/links http://twitter.com/rslade