funsec mailing list archives

so paypal has an ignorebot now?

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () isc org>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 16:49:43 +0000

listen up guys. when i get a fraudulant paypal e-mail i try, as a favour
to the owner of the brand, to put it where your security team can see it.
i could simply delete it. (i also blackhole the source, but that's not
related.)

let me say that again: i'm doing you a favour.

i will not stop my e-mail work flow to use a web browser and cut/paste.
that'll never happen. i get too much e-mail, and too much spam, to make
that possible. the imposition you'd be asking is way more than the good
will i've got on hand.

based on the reply below, i do not believe that paypal thinks that i am
doing them a favour, and so, i will stop reporting the brand-fraud that
hits my inbox.

nice going guys. now you're right up there with google.

re:

--- Begin Message --- From: <fraud () paypal com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 14:28:56 +0000 (GMT)
Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address will not
be answered.

PayPal appreciates you bringing any suspicious activity to our
attention.

Unfortunately, we are unable to properly respond to any emails that are
sent to this address. Please follow the instructions below in order to
report any suspicious activity involving PayPal or its customers.

1.  Go to https://www.paypal.com

2.  Click the 'Security Center' link at the bottom of the page

3.  Click 'Report a Problem'

4.  Select the proper Topic and Subtopic related to your issue

5.  Complete appropriate webform and click 'Submit'

If you have received a suspicious email, we are requesting that you
forward a copy of the email to us at spoof () paypal com.

Rest assured, PayPal will promptly investigate the activity you have
reported. We thank you for your concern and assistance in making PayPal
the most trusted online Payment service on the internet.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

PayPal and its representatives will NEVER ask you to reveal your
password. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this policy. If anyone claiming to
work for PayPal asks for your password under any circumstances, by email
or by phone, please refuse and immediately contact us via webform at
https://www.paypal.com/wf/f=sa_pass.

Sincerely,

PayPal, Inc.

This email is sent to you by the contracting entity to your User
Agreement, either PayPal Inc or PayPal (Europe) Limited. PayPal(Europe)
Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority
in the UK as an electronic money institution.

--------

--- End Message ---