funsec mailing list archives

Re: Another Firefox plugin with spyware?

From: robert_mcmillan () idg com
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:28:18 -0700

Suddenly this plugin has a privacy policy and is sandboxed.

While checking out FF plugins for twitter today, I came across the
following comment wrt Power Twitter 1.38;

Cool addon, but...

ever had a look inside?

I did this morning, while trying to find out why one of the images in a
tweet wasn't properly replaced (it just dissapeared). I found this call
at
startup:

http://powertwitter.me/req.php?
agent=firefox&action=userPage&version=1.38&&sViewingUser=&sLoggedInUser=
[me]&sViewingUser=&sLoggedInUser=[meagain]&ptPrefEX=off&ptPrefRM=off

That, along that half of the code is downloaded after this call. More
than
that, link replacement also happens in the network:

http://linkmapper.codingsocial.com/map.powertwitter/?
action=parseLink&version=1.38&format=json&linkNumber=26&url=[someURI]

I don't know if you do, I don't like being tracked without my knowledge.

Rated 1 out of 5 stars by Ric on April 20, 2010