funsec mailing list archives

Re: 95% of User Generated Content is spam or malicious

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 07:16:02 -0500

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org> wrote:
[ Please do not send redundant copies of on-list traffic. ]

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:15:43AM -0500, Dan Kaminsky wrote:
My sense is that SPAM filtering is ghettoizing, i.e. there's a very
small community of extraordinarily miserable people whose job it now
is to deal with SPAM for the rest of their users.  They've been so
successful, even at 98%, that now users have NO tolerance for SPAM.
In other words, the SPAM war appears to be won, nobody seems to know
it's still being fought.

First, the correct term is "spam", never "SPAM".  The former refers to
unsolicited bulk email, the latter refers to a Hormel product.

Correct.  My apologies to Hormel.

Second, 99% of the people doing anti-spam work are quite incompetent.

This is true.  That's why I expect everybody to outsource to the few
people who aren't incompetent -- Postini, Google, etc.  There are a
few organizations that can do competent spam filtering in-house, but
users are now spoiled with their zero-spam public email folders.

It's better now than it was, even though the war is nastier and more expensive.