funsec mailing list archives

Re: Death porn, media, and socmedia

From: Robert Portvliet <robert.portvliet () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 09:25:44 -0500

I have raced the US Open of (Downhill) mountain biking for the past 3 years,
which is held only 5 minutes from my home.

For the most part, the same course is used every year, but to keep the local
riders from having an unfair advantage they keep the course closed
throughout the year except for that particular race.

Practice is divided up evenly which each class ending up with about 6 hours
of practice over the 2 days leading up to the event, plus extra time ot walk
& inspect the course.

Denying visiting athletes access to any such course in favour of the 'home
team' is very dangerous, should be investigated immediately & the
responsible parties prosecuted.  I have seen before what happens when
athletes attempt to navigate a course at full speed without having every
nuance memorised, it usually ends badly..

God rest this man's soul, it is so terrible to see someone so young pass
away on the verge of fulfilling his dreams

Finally, as Dan pointed out, being ranked top 50 in the world is an enormous
accomplishment in any sport.

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon &