funsec mailing list archives

Re: Can you trust Chinese computer equipment?

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 21:48:31 -0800

The corollary of the "test baseline" in my prior post is that EVERY
piece of hardware that comes into my networks gets reflashed and
reloaded with MY gold master disks/config.

Meaning the firmware is set to whatever the version is that I have
preapproved for production, not by verifying that it matches some uname
string, but by positive installation. Ditto for all Oses and app
software.

Not only does this eliminate preinstalled malware, but I also get zero
crapware going into production.

To those who know me, this will sound like a broken record:

Security is a degenerate case of traffic and configuration management.