funsec mailing list archives

Re: Former Seagate engineer: Company destroyed evidence

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:32:46 -0800

Seagate has become a company I plan on avoiding, despite being a
customer since they were Shugart. They have produced a slew of totally
defective products in the past 2 years, and their response has been to
deny, avoid, obfuscate and cover up, until nailed down, in which case
they do "upgrades" on a case by case basis.

I've had a 50% failure rate of 7200.11s in Desktops (ICH10 and Nvidia
MCP55 RAID 10) and low use servers (Adaptec RAID 5EE), leading to
serious data loss.

Forget about this sort of slimy business practices, if you don't want
your data to go bye bye, don't use Seagate:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1050374/seagate-barracudas-7200
-11-failing

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=ata_drives&thread.i
d=11184