funsec mailing list archives

Re: ram scraper

From: The Security Community <thesecuritycommunity () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:34:23 -0500

Considering "...The RAM scraper dumped the contents of the server’s
live memory into a file named dumper.dll in the Windows system
subdirectories..." it (the scraper) must have had at least local admin
access, if not system access, in order to write a file there (unless
security was thoroughly hosed on the system in the first place).

Wouldn't simply zeroing out the buffer that held the data mitigate
something like this?  Is that too easy?  I know security-savvy
programmers are rare but it seems like an easy win.