funsec mailing list archives

Re: climate gate and programming bugs

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:35:19 -0800 (PST)

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
I agree with the assertion that the bugs described
thus far are *precisely* like security vulnerabilities

My comment wasn't about the code, but the people viewing it.

One side wants to twist the revealed e-mail/code to make it look as bad as possible. They will take every e-mail out of
context, and exaggerate every possible coding error.

The other side does precisely the opposite, trying to convince everyone that there's nothing to see here.

The core debate isn't about "implementation errors", but "design errors". Specifically, it's about whether the code is
designed to adjust the raw data to exaggerate recent warming. More specifically, it's about the inability of anybody to
double-check it, since these "scientists" do not release their code. We are supposed to believe the priests who say
Earth is at the center of the universe, but we are not allowed to see either their data or method they used to arrive
at that conclusion.

This isn't the production code, although it's related. CRU has promised to release both the code and the raw data. At
that point, us coders can start the process of replicating the results, and looking for statistically significant
errors.