funsec mailing list archives

Re: whitehouse cyber strategy review

From: chris () blask org
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:02:26 -0800 (PST)

--- On Sun, 11/15/09, Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org> wrote:

And equally of course, this will never happen, because it
would require actual thinking and innovation rather than mere

.ranting.righteous.justification.snip.

All of the responses to the initial question (and, in fact, the initial question) speak to the reason that no one is
asking us, as a group, for the answer and, as well, why they rarely listen when they get one of us alone to provide an
opinion.  (Apologies assumed for any sane comments, and no undue disrespect to all.  I love you all like deranged
siblings: sincerely but cautiously.)

If our suggestions fall in the realm of "never ever going to happen" then we may as well swing for the fence and
suggest that every computer in US government use be the Guaranteed Virus Proof type from Ole Oxtralia.  Or maybe only
quantum computers carved out of blocks of pure lithium by oil-rubbed Druid nymphs with flint knives (I'll oversee the
work crew).  Either the "answer" is going to be something that can actually happen or it's all impotent whining, and
getting everyone attached to the US government to stop using Windows (as an example) is absolutely positively not going
to happen for any number of reasons so we may as well recommend the nymphs.

To begin to formulate an answer you have to first frame the question.  It would run something like the following.

"What is the best practicable way to move the security of the world's largest (by orders of magnitude) network of
networks in a positive direction?"

Presuppositions including (but by no means limited to):

o  as wide a range as conceivable of risk tolerance (from nuclear arms facilities to public schools and libraries;

o  from individual networks that are larger than the next largest anywhere else in the world down to thousands of tiny
networks with little to no technical expertise (and everything between);

o  legal and ethical jurisdiction to include wholly public, public/private and under certain conditions (see The
Communications Act of 1934) wholly private networks;

o  decisions made as part of the proposed solution will drive (or halt) hundreds of billions of dollars of revenue for
decades and potentially redraw geo-economic maps;

o  there will be non-infinite funding available to implement the proposed solution;

o  the privacy and civil liberties implications of each decision must be factored in, and;

o  international impact of each component decision must be factored in, along the motivational lines of the statement
below.

"The Nation also needs a strategy for cybersecurity designed to shape the international environment and bring
like-minded nations together on a host of issues, such as technical standards and acceptable legal norms regarding
territorial jurisdiction, sovereign responsibility, and use of force."

There is no simple solution, there is no "pure" solution of any sort whatsoever, and there is no person or group with
the authority and capacity to impose a complete framework solution in anything less than a timeline of decades.

Given all of that, who wants to tackle drafting the Answer?

-chris