funsec mailing list archives

Re: Dangerous promises...

From: Peter Kosinar <goober () nuf ksp sk>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 01:52:18 +0100 (CET)

I met one of those about 12 years ago. The vendor assured me it was virus
proof. I showed him a floppy disk, and asked if I could install the
software from it, on his computer. He asked me "Is there a virus on it?"

What a simple and elegant solution -- In order to keep your computer
virus-free, one just needs prevent viruses from getting in!

Though, even in absence of this ultimate and foolproof solution, the
situation is improving slowly. For example, it seems that today's
computers are, on average, much more resilient against viruses coming from
floppy disks.

Peter