funsec mailing list archives

Re: dumb. Comcast pop-ups

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:03:26 -0400

If they are not...

I think it's fair to assume that a very high percentage of these users
will have at least one malicious system behind the cable modem. We're
pretty good at recognizing that now, aren't we?

If they are, then what POSSIBLE reason is there to believe that the
users will actually see these pop-ups?  It is, after all, not in the
best interests of the new owners of those compromised systems to permit
the former owners to be alerted to what's going on.

Of course there's no evidence that any malware is yet blocking such
messages. One day when that happens it will be a problem. In the
meantime this is a fairly unobtrusive way for Comcast to communicate
with users. When it's blocked they'll have to find another.

Larry Seltzer
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry_seltzer () ziffdavis com
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/