funsec mailing list archives

Re: Hot new tech!

From: phester <funsec () armorfirewall com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 02:03:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Alex Lanstein wrote:

Ah, yes, the pig who arrested Gates for not being sufficiently deferential
to an armed racist with a badge invading his home.  How dare a black man
in America get uppity in his own living room, indeed!

Living in Boston, I'm probably a little more "aware" (and by that I mean
over-saturated by the local media) of the story.  They've been reading
the transcript on every station all day (including sports radio) and it
certainly seems like Gates was in the wrong.  There are apparently tapes
of the near-constant radio communication where most of the Gates
communication is heard in the background, and the police union is
pushing very hard to get them released.

Sgt Crowley only did one public interview (with right-wing sports radio
hosts) that I suggest you listen to -
http://audio.weei.com/m/25432556/sgt-james-crowley-cambridge-police.htm

Again, I'm not going to pass any definite judgment until those tapes are
released (unlike our president who admittedly "didn't have all the
facts") but based on the groups pushing to have them released, it seems
that the officers were really not in the wrong here.

Once it was ascertained that the man was the homeowner, and not a burglar,
the police had no reason or right to be there. Any abuse they suffered,
they volunteered for. Arresting the man for being "disorderly" in his own
home was merely an exercise in abuse of power.

"Get your smelly pig ass the fuck off of my property" is a perfectly
*legal* response.