funsec mailing list archives

Re: Bank security

From: Rob Thompson <my.security.lists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:43:41 -0700

Rich Kulawiec wrote:
About a year ago, I went several rounds with a local financial institution
while trying to deposit money into an account.  They wanted a thumbprint
in order to verify that fraud wasn't being attempted, and were utterly
impervious to the point that it was a DEPOSIT, not usually a profitable
means of fraud.

If it was a deposit into an account other than your own and it was a
check, that would make a little bit of sense, but I would think it would
drive customers away.  That's not a Federal guideline, if you're in the
US, btw - it would have been a local policy.

If it was your own account, I would recommend you to change banks.
Personally, I would never do business with a place that has rules of
that sort.

Depositing is a profitable means of fraud.  It's how check kiting is done.

---Rsk

--
Rob

|  ASCII ribbon campaign ( )  |