funsec mailing list archives

Re: McAfee really DOES write new Malware! Wholey Moley!

From: <Blanchard_Michael () emc com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:18:15 -0400

To confront the enemy, it's necessary to know the enemy -- and
the enemy's strategies and tactics.  Refusing to learn these
guarantees defeat.

---Rsk

   True, but to study the enemy you must study HIS tactics and HIS
maneuvers.  Not create brand new ones and study them.  You must study
existing malware, pull it apart, debug it, decompile it, see what makes
it tick.  Then extrapolate and try to predict the "bad guy's" next move
based upon his past behavior.

  How can we study what the real bad guys are if we create something
completely different than what the bad guys would ever think of?

 Mike B