funsec mailing list archives

Re: C-level execs ignorant of Web 2.0 dangers

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 10:12:03 -0400

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:25:00PM -0700, Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:
What, exactly, is the benefit to a trading desk @ a hedge fund (the
client in question) of allowing access to Facebook? Seriously, outside
of sales and marketing, who needs Facebook @ work?

[...]

So, the decision to not allow sites that are known security risks, and
contribute nothing to the business, is a pretty easy one.

Were I running a network used by such an entity, I'd disallow ALL sites
by default and only permit traffic to/from those necessary for the conduct
of business.  That's draconian, but given the regulatory and security
issues in play, I think it's the only method that's got a chance.

---Rsk