funsec mailing list archives

Re: OT: Queen Bohemian Rhapsody old school computer Remix

From: "Les Bell" <lesbell () lesbell com au>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 09:23:30 +1000

Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu> wrote:

An AM radio in the vicinity of an IBM 360/30 and 360/40 would definitely
sing to you at the proper frequency.
<<

I remember doing the same thing with my Morrow Designs 2 MHz 8080 octal
front panel in 1977 - in fact, it was playing "The Fool on the Hill"
(Beatles) over a nearby AM radio. This was done using code and data from an
article in Dr. Dobbs Journal of Tiny BASIC Computer Calisthenics and
Orthodontia, or Running Light Without Overbyte, Vol 1, No 1 (?), entitled
"Music of a Sort" by Steve Dompier. In fact, I suspect this was the first
program for many builders of Altair and similar 8080 systems, since it ran
in only 256 bytes or so of RAM and required no other peripherals or I/O
devices.

The article provided a second data set which was the tones for "Daisy,
Daisy (A Bicycle Built for Two)". A computer that cannot play this is not a
computer, imho.

Best,

--- Les Bell
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]