funsec mailing list archives

Re: Interesting routes, info appreciated....

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 23:21:44 -0400 (EDT)

I see in my log files that I get probed from 119.161.130.75 on an
almost hourly basis (make dumb joke here), udp port scans, brute
force password attempts, nothing to out of the ordinary which is why
I ask help from the funsec community.

Sounds like a good candidate for border router blocking.  But that
wasn't what you were asking....

Check out this log and tell me what is going on here.

Hop 12 is the handoff from Sprint to China net.

Everything past this point is of questionable reliability, at best.

Hop 22 is a static route provided by GE with an IP of 3.3.3.2
Hop 23 is DoD Experimental IP space
Hop 24 is the host harassing me.

Why would I see a static route from GE here and then DoD IP space?  I
am just curious as I think this is a strange path to get to the host
that resides at hop 24.

Because someone in Chinanet is (ab)using 3/8 and 6/8 as if they were
RFC1918 space, would be my guess.  Back when I was still bothering to
actively fight network abuse, Chinanet was one of the worst offenders,
one of the first I blanket-blocked.

If the net were run by people who cared more about having a
well-functioning net than something else (lining their own pockets
would be my guess, but I don't actually know), Chinanet would long ago
have been kicked off the net (or at least threatened with it; if the
threat of penalties were credible, it might work).

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org