funsec mailing list archives

Re: FTC files complaint against "BogusComputerScan Software" makers

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 18:07:05 -0400

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 02:40:47PM -0700, Robert Graham wrote:
But isn't that a good thing? FTC regulates *trade*, not Internet traffic, and I would like to see it stay that way.

Y'know, you make a really good point there (and in the material
that I snipped), one that I find myself reluctantly agreeing with.

We probably *are* better off trying to do this ourselves, despite
our lack of legal enforcement powers.  We still have ACL lists in
our border routers, and DNSBLs for our mail systems, and so on, and
thus can enforce policies within the limits of our own networks.
If we act in concert, then we can take actions that are de facto
equivalent to those mandated by civil authorities.  And, per your
point, maybe that's a good thing.

---Rsk