funsec mailing list archives

Re: fascinating deceptive writing in news [was: Great NPR foo]

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:19:01 -0400

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 04:21:19 +0300, Gadi Evron said:

2. @DDrazic (Drazen Drazic) shared the following link discussing
Internet censorship in Australia sometime in February. I found the text
especially fascinating.

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,25062518-5013038,00.html

The author uses baseless demagogy. Also, he does some pretty cool things
with words. He is a good writer and makes me his friend when I read his
article, but he is also completely full of b/s:

1. He "boils" us slowly with examples we can relate to, showing us how
our boy can get home from school and with simple searches on the net for
say, horse-back riding can end up in a porn site showing something else
entirely.

Did this story get edited/replaced since you read it?  Currently, at least
as seen from where I am, it *starts* off with:

"A boy comes home from school and logs on to the computer. He types in a search
for, say, 'sex pictures'. Thousands of sites appear and he starts exploring. ..."

Horses don't enter into it until later.