funsec mailing list archives

Re: wireless service "steals" and proxies emails

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 22:54:39 +0100

Gadi Evron wrote:
Wireless (swisscom) at hotel steals my email messages and relays
through a proxy rather than my MTA! WTF!! Even "experts" can be fooled.

No wonder a friend bounced my emails.

Friends elsewhere suggested a solution, but first why this is so
shameful for me:
I did click "yesyesyes" on a certificate warning because I was expecting
one anyway (self-signed).

Friend's bounce:

    : host mx01.speakeasy.net[69.17.117.60] said: 554 5.7.1
    : Client host rejected:
    Access denied (in reply to RCPT TO command)

linuxbox's log file:

    Mar 25 ... linuxbox ...
    A53E6.2070502 () linuxbox org>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA,
relay=mail-out-01.swisscom-eurospot.com [83.97.120.90]

Bastards proxy SSL'd connections too. Unless I missed something.

Solution:
Use submission on port 587 with STARTTLS

    Gadi.

So I didn't click "yesyesyes" after all, I configured it wrong.
In Thunderbird I needed to set up encryption for SMTP regardless of what
I set for the account. I was set to "tls, if available" so I was never
alerted.

        Gadi.