funsec mailing list archives

Re: The PCI sky *isn't* falling!

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 02:27:34 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Alex Eckelberry wrote:

I agree, PCI is a stupid, idiotic standard but it does force some basic
best practices.

But it doesn't.

A) you can choose which level of security you want to be under, and at
least some banks are happy if you choose the lowest, even if it's plainly
wrong. At the lowest level of security, you're required to do bugger-all.

B) you get compliant by self-certification, and if you decide that any of
the requirements are not applicable, you can avoid them.

C) you choose which of your IP addresses are tested by the outside
auto-tester.

But to think it's a fix is "whistling past the graveyard".

Alex