funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:10:18 -0400 (EDT)

You might want to remember that the "sad old curmudgeons" built the
network you're currently using.  [...] the newbies (in my view:
"anyone who did not have an address ending in .ARPA") [...]

Well, even if I am a newbie, one thing occurs to me.

None of these have yet approached the utility, efficiency,
scalability, resilience, and reach that Usenet had decades ago.
[...]  (I'm continually amazed at how many people blithely accept the
largesse of these sites without ever stopping to consider how the
bills are paid, and what that means for them.)

A few of them, maybe, because they feel like old curmudgeons themselves
and cut their teeth in a net that _ran_ on the largesse of other sites.

Like, oh, just to pick an example, Usenet back in the dialup days.

                                        der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
        mcvax!seismo!cmcl2!philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse

(Actually, today's net still has a contingent, larger than it was
though proportionately smaller because the net itself is very much
larger, which still runs on largesse.  The open-source world mostly
works that way, for example.)