funsec mailing list archives

Re: idea

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 22:16:32 -0500 (EST)

To use the real-life example, an unpatched Windows [...]  Even if I
do not connect the machine to any network, the moment I open any
document that the machine itself did not create, I expose it to all
sorts of macros, scripts and embedded content which can hose or
exploit my applications.

Quite.  A good argument against providing extension languages with the
capability of modifying...well, pretty much anything outside the file
the code is embedded in, and arguasbly even that.

The same weaknesses apply to operating systems and applications
generally.

Only if they insist on executing code from sources such as "documents"
from elsewhere, giving it capabilities like writing files (or
semi-equivalent capabilities such as modifying the windows registry).

I, for example, do not "open" "documents"; I display and/or edit files,
and the display and editor programs do not provide any kind of
live-content support to the files in question.  (I do occasionally run
PostScript or PDF code, but when such programs come from untrusted
sources I tell the PS/PDF engine to disable the primitives for writing
files and the like.)  This is not to say that programs are bug-free,
only that outright bugs provide any way for such things to execute
content.

I fully expect that evolutionary pressures will end up killing off live
content, or at least live content that provides support for making
non-transient state changes such as writing files.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org