funsec mailing list archives

Re: idea

From: Rick Wesson <rick () support-intelligence com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 14:21:16 -0800

Why not use a private root and use DNSSEC to do the validation of the FQDN. AV
vendors could even use their own roots and test that looking up their addresses
were correct. At least the AV software would be able to tell that the DNS was
messed up.

There are DNSSEC enabled TLDs -- you could start there.

-rick

Ben Li wrote:
I think this is a discussion about two related parts of a single
problem. CouldAV addresses the area of detecting and preventing
infections through a great new way to analyse and track binary
executables and processes, while Randall's concern seems to be about
getting AV tools on to known infected machines that actively resist
efforts to install/use AV tools.

The present solution concept proposes to break one form of resistance
which prevents the infected machine from locating and/or installing AV
tools from the Internet, by moving a pointer resolution function
(AVpublisher.tld -> IP address) normally provided by DNS (and corrupted
by installed malware) into a different layer and space which is not
blockable at all by a malware. So far, our preliminary proof-of-concept
work indicates that it would be possible to bypass untrustable host name
resolution functions to deliver AV tools (such as CloudAV or anything
else) to infected machines.

-Ben

Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:
The concept of distributed/cloudAV has been worked on by the University
of Michigan crew that did the fundamental work that led to Arbor
Networks:

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/fjgroup/cloudav/

It's similar in detection concept to Sunbelt's new product in that it
uses multiple engines, and to the current discussion in that it is a
distributed system.