funsec mailing list archives

Re: FTC files complaint against "BogusComputerScan Software" makers

From: "Alex Eckelberry" <AlexE () sunbelt-software com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 13:19:41 -0500

Interesting.  What have they had to say about "Spammin' Stu"
Sjouwerman of Sunbelt Software, who not only had the audacity to spam
(hardly uncommon) but did so in part in order to hawk a product called
"IHateSpam"?
(See redacted and de-HTML-ized spample below.)

*You* seem like a capable guy, Alex, and as far as I can tell, your
actions in the Julie Amero case were exemplary.  But Sunbelt Software
is permanently blacklisted here, along with every other so-called
"anti-spam" vendor that used/uses spam -- about two dozen so far.
Those companies who are deliberately making the spam problem worse in
order to profit don't belong on the Internet.

Fair enough.  I would only say that this stuff occurred 7-10 years ago,
and the company is not even close to what it was back in the 90s and
early part of this decade.

Alex