funsec mailing list archives

Re: Death by code release

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:48:50 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: funsec-bounces () linuxbox org [mailto:funsec-bounces () linuxbox org]
On Behalf Of Florian Weimer
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 10:19 AM
To: my.security.lists () gmail com
Cc: funsec () linuxbox org; rMslade () shaw ca
Subject: Re: [funsec] Death by code release

* Rob Thompson:

I can't believe that there are really that many people that are
interested in Windoze 7, after Vista sucked as badly as it did.

Windows 7 marketing seems to be much better.  It's certainly not
perceived as an interim product like Windows Me.

[TLB:]
Like it or not, the vast majority of line of business apps are still
Windows only, and most IT shops have staff who only know how to manage
windows.

XP is EOL and showing its age. Vista is a hog that breaks lots. Windows
7 supposedly includes many of the good things of Vista (at least UAC and
signed drivers only were a step in the right direction, albeit
ham-fisted), and breaks less.

Unless everyone goes to Citrix or some other virtualization/web terminal
type infrastructure for LOB (anyone remember when we did windows
emulation for all the AS400 and Mainframe apps when LANs just started
getting popular?) apps, we're going to be stuck with Windows on the
desktop for a long time, at least in business.

There's a pent up demand for an improved desktop experience, not just
for the end user, but for the IT guys who have to manage it. Linux on
the desktop hasn't delivered it (the issues with drivers due to the
requirement to GPL the driver code being a non-starter for many HW
manufacturers hamstring it), Apple hasn't (especially not the IT support
part), so MS has an opportunity to correct its mistakes before the
former two make major inroads.

Don't underestimate the Battleship Redmond. Anyone remember Netscape?