funsec mailing list archives

Re: InfoSec: Food for Thought

From: Donal <irldexter () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 18:27:28 +1100

a) 1974 http://web.mit.edu/Saltzer/www/publications/protection/

and

b) SecurityMetrics mailing list going round in circles.....

including

c) "It'll be just as insecure as it possibly can, while still
continuing to function."
http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/editorials/point-counterpoint/homeusers.htm

One does worry.

Until we can elicit a value to shared and dedicated nodes/messages +
the organisational superorganism as a whole, risk and the
quantification thereof is a joke.... unfortunately shared
infrastructure and services such as routing/DNS/SNMP/NTP/logging *are*
business critical e.g. data and control planes including management
control planes. http://twitter.com/irldexter/status/1087480944

Here's to 2009! And some standardisaiton of code development and
testing including liability etc as per David Rice's arguments in
Geekonomics. http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780321477897

Peace.