funsec mailing list archives

Re: FTC busts 'world's largest spam operation'

From: "Young, Keith" <Keith.Young () montgomerycountymd gov>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:30:10 -0400

That's news to me -- I'm still getting spam for "male enhancement"
products. :-)

The biggest operation has 5.3% of the market.
Number 2 is 4.8%, number 3 is 4.6%, and so on.

Nuke the biggest, and you still get 95% of the spam,
and you probably won't notice a 5% change unless you
go looking for it with sophisticated statistical tools.

It all depends how you define "biggest" -- number of spams, number of
people involved, amount of profit, number of zombie machines used for
distribution, etc.

===
Kent: Mr. Simpson, how do you respond to the charges that petty
       vandalism such as graffiti is down eighty percent, while heavy
       sack-beatings are up a shocking nine hundred percent?
Homer: Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent.
       Forty percent of all people know that.
===

--Keith

Keith Young, Security Official