funsec mailing list archives

Re: School Closings due to weather

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 00:56:59 -0500

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 06:31:36 CST, Gary Warner said:
Because the weather forecast YESTERDAY said there was a "Winter Freeze
Warning" in effect for this morning, my daughter's school went ahead
YESTERDAY AFTERNOON and announced that school would not start until 9:30
AM (instead of 7:40).

Many moons ago, when I was still in college, I spent a day helping unload a
shipping container for somebody just moving into the area.  It was maybe
25F outside, which was a balmy day for that time of year in Potsdam. Since
I was moving furniture, I wasn't needing much more than a flannel shirt and
some work gloves.  The owner of the furniture was in a zipped up parka and
still shivering and freezing (even though he was moving stuff too).

Turns out the guy was moving there from Guam, where the island governor
had declared a state of emergency a few years before when it got down
to 50F.  50F is seriously bad mojo when not a single building on the island
has a heating system, nobody owns a blanket for their bed, and nobody is
the least bit acclimated to the cold...